James E. Davis
1979-83 Wabash College B.A. (Cum Laude), Crawfordsville, Indiana
1983-87 Indiana University School of Medicine M.D., Indianapolis, Indiana
1987-88 Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center Intern, Surgery, Los Angeles, California
1988-91 Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center Resident, Surgery, Los Angeles, California
1991-92 Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center Chief Resident Surgery, Los Angeles, California
1992-93 Cardiovascular Research Center Research Fellow, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic, Iowa City, Iowa
1993-95 University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Resident Surgery, Iowa City, Iowa Cardiothoracic
1995-96 Childrens Hospital Los Angeles Fellow, Pediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery, Los Angeles, California
American Board of Surgery
American Board of Thoracic Surgery, 2005 (recertified)
Professional and Academic Positions
1996 - 1998 Veterans Administration Staff Physician, Medical Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico
1996 - 1998 Lovelace Medical Center Staff Physician, Albuquerque, New Mexico
1996 - 1998 University of New Mexico Assistant Professor of Surgery School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico
2000 - 2003 West Jefferson Medical Center Staff Physician, Marrero, Louisiana
1998 - 2007 Tulane University School of Clinical Professor of Surgery, Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana
1998 - 2000 Ochsner Clinic Foundation Staff Physician
New Orleans, Louisiana
2000 - 2005 Children 's Hospital Staff Physician, New Orleans, Louisiana
2000 - 2007 Ochsner Pediatric Heart Institute, Director, New Orleans, Louisiana
2000 - 2007 Ochsner Clinic Foundation Senior Physician, New Orleans, Louisiana
2007 - University of Iowa Associate Professor, Chief, Division of Cardiac Surgical
2008 - University of Iowa Division Director, Pediatric Cardiac Services
Division Director, Adult Cardiac Services Program Director, Pediatric Cardiac Transplant and Assist Devices Program Director, Adult Cardiac Transplant and Mechanical Circulatory Support Program
Contegra Pulmonary Valved Conduit Trial, Primary Investigator MicroMed DeBakey VAD Trial, Co-investigator Optimal Location for Temporary Epicardial Pacing in Pediatric Postoperative Cardiac Patients
Outcomes in Pediatric Patients Undergoing Surgical Correction Of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome Neutrophil Priming in Pediatric Patients Undergoing Cardiac Bypass Factors that Effect Outcomes in Left Ventricular Assist Device Recipients
Honors, Awards, Recognitions, Outstanding Achievements
John Pittman Academic Scholarship, Indiana University School of Medicine, 1983
Institutional Research Fellowship Award, University of Iowa Cardiovascular Center, 1992
2011 Health Care Heroes in the Advancements in Health Category, Corridor Business Journal, (for the University of Iowa Mechanical Circulatory Support Program), February, 2011
Ochsner Clinic Central American Pediatric Heart Program
2000 - 2006
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Mission, Managua, Nicaragua. April 20-27, 2002
Adult Congenital Cardiac Surgery Mission, Managua, Nicaragua, October 2003
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Mission, Yucatan, Mexico, 2010
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Cardiothoracic Surgery
Developed and continue to direct the following:
Daily Morning Thoracic Resident Conference
Daily Supervision and Teaching of Cardiothoracic Surgery Resident on Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Rotation
Daily Supervision and Teaching of PICU Fellow on Pediatric Cardiac Service Rotation
Annual and Weekly Lectures to Perfusion Students
Annual Pediatric Cardiac Conference
Other Contributions to Institutional Programs
Multiple Departmental Lectures for Residents - Approximately three/year, 2007-Current
Monthly Journal Club for Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2009-Current
Lecture at Fetal Conference, Genesis Hospital, Davenport, IA, 2007
Ground Rounds, St. Luke 's Hospital, Cedar Rapids, IA, 2008
Ground Rounds, Blank Children 's Hospital, IA, 2008
Mini Medical School, Mechanical Assist Devices, Des Moines, IA, 2008
Publications or Creative Works
1. Weiss RM, Kerber RE, Goerbig-Campbell JL, Davis MK, Cabuay BM, Ashrith G,
Karrowni W, Davis JE, Johnson FL. The Impact of Prolonged Rotary Ventricular
Assist Device Support upon Ventricular Geometry and Flow Kinetics. J Am Soc
Echocardiogr. 2010 Nov 17. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Calcaterra D, Karam K, Babajanov JB, Davis JE. An option for intraoperative
placement of an intra-aortic balloon pump in patients with occlusive peripheral
vascular disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print]
3. McFadden PM, Ochsner JL, Van Meter CH, Humphries TA, Mena J, Bates MN, Davis JE, Parrino PE: Can Private, Non-University-Affiliated Cardiothoracic Training Programs Provide Sufficient Surgical Experience in Cardiac Tumors? Journal of Surgical Education, 66(4):190-192, July 2009
4. Snyder CS, Lucas V, Young T, Darling R, Dalal G, Davis JE: Minimally invasive implantation of a cardio-defibrillator in a small patient. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, 133(5):1375-1376, May 2007.
5. Koichi T, Mackenzie K, Mehra M, DiCorte CJ, Davis JE, McFadden PM, Ochsner JL, White C, Van Meter, Jr. CH: Revascularization in severe ventricular dysfunction: A comparison of bypass surgery and percutaneous intervention. Ann Thorac Surg, 74(6):2082-2087, Dec 2002.
6. Kerber RE, Davis JE: Combined epicardial-transthoracic electrode paddle placement: A method for defibrillation during open-chest cardiac resuscitation. Resuscitation 34(3):243-245, Jun 1997.
7. Tang E, Davis J, Silberman H: Bowel obstruction in cancer patients. Archives of Surgery 130:832-837, 1995.
1. Starnes VA, Barr ML, Schenkel FA, Horn MV, Chan KM, Davis JE, Cohen RG, Hagen JA, Barbers RG, Woo MS, MacLaughlin E, Wong P, Wells W, Marboe CC: Cardiopulmonary physiology in adult and pediatric bilateral lobar transplant recipients: one year follow-up. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 15(1):S39, 1996.
2. Marboe CC, Barr ML, Cicciarelli JC, Iwaki Y, Schenkel FA, Horn VM, Chan KM, Barbers RG, Woo WS, Davis JE, Cohen RG, Hagen JA, Starnes VA: Acute rejection patterns and relationship to HLA matching in bilateral lobar. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 15(1):S44, 1996.
3. Follis F., Sun J., Blisard K., Temes T., Pett S., Davis J., Wernly J.: Can spinal cord ischomic injury be prevented by NMDA receptors blockage? Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine 20 (4) : 489, 1997.
1. Davis JE, Starnes VA: Pediatric Lung Transplantation: Indications, Techniques, and Special Considerations. In DKC Cooper (Ed.), The Transplantation and Replacement of Thoracic Organs, 2nd Edition, Kluwer Academic Pub, 1996.
2. Davis JE, Starnes VA: Living Donor Lobar Lung Transplantation. In DKC Cooper (Ed.), The Transplantation and Replacement of Thoracic Organs, 2nd Edition, Kluwer Academic Pub, 1996.
3. Davis JE, Starnes VA: Ebstein 's Malformation of the Tricuspid Valve in Children. LR Kaiser, IL Kron, TL Spray (Eds.), Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1998.
1. Starnes VA, Davis JE, Wells WJ, Hagen JA, Cohen RG, The University of Southern California Transplant Group: Living donor lobar lung transplantation experience: intermediate results. Presented at the American Association for Thoracic Surgery Meeting in San Diego, California, April 1996.
2. Pediatric Cardiac Valve Replacement. UNM Pediatric Grand Rounds, Albuquerque, New Mexico, September 5, 1996.
3. Cardiopulmonary Bypass Pathophysiology. Open Heart Surgery Core Nursing Course, University of New Mexico Hospital, Albuquerque, New Mexico, September 26, 1996.
4. Review of Pediatric Cardiac Surgery. General Surgery Education Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, November 27, 1996.
5. Review of Adult Cardiac Surgery. General Surgery Education Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, November 27, 1996.
6. Pediatric Valve Replacement. Staff Education Conference, Los Alamos Medical Center, Los Alamos, New Mexico, May 13, 1997.
7. Transplantation of Thoracic Organs. General Surgery Education Conference,
Albuquerque, New Mexico, July 16, 1997.
8. Davis JE, Rossi NP, Titler MG.: The society of thoracic surgeons data base: beyond benchmarking for mortality after coronary bypass (CAB). Presented at the International College of Surgeons - United States Section 60th Annual Surgical Update, Maui, Hawaii, June 16-20, 1998.
9. McFadden PM, Valentine VG, Ochsner JL, Emory WB, Van Meter CH., Davis JE: Survival Effect of Early Intervention for Bronchial Complications After Lung Transplantation. Presented at the International Society for Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Houston, Texas, November 1-4, 1998.
STS Database, Director, Ochsner Clinic
Operating Room Purchasing Advisory Committee, Member, Ochsner Clinic
Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship, Program Director, 2006, Ochsner Clinic
UIHC Heart and Vascular Center Executive Board, 2008-Current
UNOS Heart Regional Review Board, 2007-11
2011 Educate the Educators participant
Society of Graduate Surgeons, LAC-USC Medical Center, 1995-Current
New Orleans Surgical Society, 1998-2007
Southern Thoracic Surgical Association, 2000-Current
American College of Surgeons, Fellow, 2002-Current
Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Workforce on Clinical Education Committee, Member, 2005