Boston Adult Congenital Heart (BACH)
In 1991, James Lock and I created the Boston Adult Congenital Heart (BACH) service. As founding director, I have continuously expanded the service, achieving regional, national, and international recognition for "BACH" as a center of excellence for adults with congenital heart disease (ACHD). I also founded the combined Pulmonary Hypertension (PHT) Service at Children's Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital. In 2004, the Bruce Dunlevie family demonstrated appreciation for our clinical efforts and established a $ 4 million endowment to support and strengthen the BACH-PHT program.
I now direct 7 (5 full-time, 2 part-time) staff cardiologists, 5 full-time cardiovascular fellows, 4 physician assistants/nurse practitioners, 1.5 research associates (RN, PA-C), 2 resident mentorship trainees, and 2 full-time administrative assistants. We have received local recognition for the comprehensive and compassion nature of our care. I was the first physician recipient of the BWH nursing staff's "Starfish" Award for Compassionate Care, and our group was awarded the BWH's Dennis Thompson Award for Compassionate Care.
BACH patients are amongst the most ill in the region. Referrals to our care typically are at timing when primary caregivers are at what was perceived to be "end of care options". As such, we are frequently asked to innovate care options. In BACH, therefore, clinical skills have excelled, and through this we have become local, national, and international resources of all-round clinical excellence, as consummate "physicians' physicians."
BACH provided the first regional intensive team-approach access to right-heart supportive medical therapies (IV and inhaled prostanoids, ERA's inhaled NO, PDE inhibitors), in routine as well as investigational fashion, that, to date, remains otherwise inaccessible in this fashion and depth of service to regional patients in need. In providing such therapies and guidance for patients and caregivers, we are supporting the continued growth and success of institutional programs in respirology, transplantation, and EP, where such patients may present with otherwise under-recognized and unmet needs.
Of note, accomplished innovative BACH programming includes new sub-programs developed in ACHD-related a) aortic health (Marfan and non-Marfan connective tissue diseases), b) high-risk obstetrical care and conception counseling, and c) ACHD cardiovascular imaging, with planned timelines for additional sub-programming in ACHD-related a) heart failure, b) exercise physiology and training, c) vascular medicine, and d) transition to, and through, adulthood with chronic heart disease.
In light of the care model discussed above (Clinical Innovations), advances in our care for adults with congenital heart disease within the BACH program have not only focused on continuous, compassionate care through life transitions, but have relied on translational innovation; merging and inventing technologies that span acquired and congenital physiologies and anatomies. Poignant examples include device-based palliation of myocardial infarction-related ventricular septal rupture and paravalvar leaks, and anatomic therapies for under-recognized anatomic contributors to pulmonary hypertensive disorders (pulmonary arterial obstructions, distal chronic thromboembolic disease, and pulmonary venous stenosis), each of which I have contributed to at leadership levels. With similar leadership and spirit, BACH is currently embarking on biobanking programming, with specific aims to a) identify biomarkers associated with current functional status and specific clinical findings in adults with congenital heart disease, b) define independent biomarkers that predict the development of pulmonary arterial hypertension and other cardiovascular outcomes among patients with repaired simple congenital heart defects, and c) investigate genetic polymorphisms associated with the development of pulmonary arterial hypertension in this population.
Harvard University Teaching:
The founding principles of the BACH-PHT service were based on a dedication to the development and sustenance of master diagnostic and clinical skills with both a leadership in teaching and a more widespread dissemination of care guidelines, extending rigor in care standard and scholarship. As such, my teaching efforts within the BACH-PHT program have been recognized and rewarded at all levels of education, and I am an honored invited speaker at local teaching conferences, grand rounds, and regional, national and international conferences. Under Roberta Williams and Carole Warnes, I had a seminal role in the development of first-ever US guidelines of ACHD care, supported by both the ACC and AHA (2008).
My research efforts have led to novel therapies for patients with life-threatening pulmonary vascular and cardiomyopathic illnesses. With guidance from James Lock and Samuel Goldhaber, I developed and published innovative life-improving and -saving techniques of balloon pulmonary angioplasty for patients with otherwise life-threatened congenital and acquired pulmonary arterial occlusions, most notably with distal chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. We have developed additional catheter-based strategies that have improved survival and quality of life for patients with acquired paravalvar regurgitation, or with post-myocardial infarction ventricular septal rupture.
Most recently, my goals have included establishing coordinated and, as appropriate, randomized clinical study in ACHD, as well as assessment of outcomes of care, from large clinical databases. As PI for the multi-centered randomized BREATHE-5 trial, investigating medical benefits for Eisenmenger Syndrome patients, I was responsible for planning, coordination, and publication of this first-ever successful RCT for ACHD. Currently, I am an executive committee member for the multi-centered randomized CLOSURE-1 trial, investigating potential benefit and risk of transcatheter PFO closure in patients with associated stroke. As a member of the NIH research advisory committee for study of ACHD, I emphasized quality and outcomes assessment for ACHD care. Most recently I continue to play a directing role in the ACC- and NHLBI-supported young investigators data coordination and multi-center trials group.
1977 Valedictorian, Bronx High School of Science 1981 BA Columbia University/College,New York, NY, summa cum laude
1985 MD Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
07/1985-06/1986 Intern, Medicine, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY
07 /1986-06/1988 Resident, Medicine, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center
2007 /88-06 /89 Chief Resident, Medicine, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center
07/1989-06/1992 Fellow, Adult Cardiology Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA
07 19/90-06/1992, Fellow, Pediatric Cardiology, Children's Hospital Boston, Boston, MA
Faculty Academic Appointments
1992-2001 Instructor, Medicine, Harvard Medical School
2001- Assistant Professor, Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Appointments at Hospitals/Affiliated Institutions
01/92-12/01 Assistant, Department of Cardiology, Children's Hospital Boston
01/92- Associate, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women's Hospital
01/02- Associate, Department of Cardiology, Children's Hospital Boston
Other Professional Positions
1996-2000 Medical Liaison, Pulmonary Hypertension Association (formerly UPPHA)
1998- Medical Liaison, Medical Advisory Board
2002-2003 Director, Medical Advisory Board, Adult Congenital Heart Association
Major Administrative Leadership Positions
1992- Organizing founder, Boston Adult Congenital Heart (BACH) and Pulmonary Hypertension Service, Children's Hospital Boston, Brigham and Women's Hospital
1993- Fellowship Director, Boston Adult Congenital Heart (BACH) and Pulmonary Hypertension Service, Children's Hospital Boston, Brigham and Women's Hospital
1992-2004 Clinical Director, Boston Adult Congenital Heart (BACH) and Pulmonary Hypertension Service, Children's Hospital Boston, Brigham and Women's Hospital
1998-1999 Member, Task Force on Adult Patients at Children's Hospital, Children's Hospital Boston
1999-2000 Representative, Harvard Medical School: Adult Congenital Heart Disease Task Force, Children's Hospital Boston, Brigham and Women's Hospital
2001-2002 Cardiovascular System Co-Director, Human Systems: Pathophysiology Course
2004- Director, Boston Adult Congenital Heart (BACH) and Pulmonary Hypertension Service, Children's Hospital Boston, Brigham and Women's Hospital
2004-2005 Board of Directors, Boston Children's Heart Foundation, Children's Hospital Boston
1997-1998 Housestaff Committee CPMC
1988-1989 Hospital Planning Committee CPMC
1988-1989 Residency Admissions Committee CPMC
2000-2001 Bethesda Conference Steering Committee, American College of Cardiology, American Heart Association
2004-2006 Annual Scientific Session Program Committee, American College of Cardiology
2004-2011 Congenital Heart Disease and Pediatric Cardiology (now ACPC) Committee, American College of Cardiology
2005- Young Investigators Multi-center Trials and Research Group (AARCC) American College of Cardiology
2005- ACHD Subsection Committee, American College of Cardiology (Co-Organizer)
2006-2010 Joint Council for Congenital Heart Disease, American College of Cardiology, American Heart Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
2008- Summit for ACHD Training and Subspecialty, American College of Cardiology and Joint Council on Congenital Heart Disease (Co-Organizer)
2008-2010 Cardiovascular Disease in the Young Leadership Council, American Heart Association
1983-1985 Massachusetts Medical Society, Member
1988-1989 American College of Physicians, Member
1991-1994 American College of Cardiology, Affiliate
1992- American Heart Association, Cardiopulmonary and Critical Care Council, Member
1993- International Society for Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ISACHD), Member (2008-2010 President)
1994- American College of Cardiology, Member
2003- Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions, Member
2008- American Heart Association: Cardiovascular Disease in the Young Council, Member
1. Urlaub G, Landzberg M, Chasin LA. Selective killing of methotrexate resistant cells carrying dihydrofolate reductase genes. Cancer Research. 1981;41:1594-1601.
2. Adatia I, Thompson J, Landzberg M, Wessel DL. Inhaled nitric oxide in chronic obstructive lung disease. Lancet. 1993;341(8840):307-308.
3. Rosenfeld HM, Landzberg MJ, Perry SB, Colan SD, Keane JF, Lock JE. . Balloon aortic valvuloplasty in the young adult with congenital aortic stenosis. Am Jour Cardiol. 1994;73:1112-1117.
4. Lillehei CW, Shamberger RC, Mayer JE, Burke RP, Koka BV, Arnold J, Wessel DL,"Lanzberg M", Palazzo R. Size Discerpancy in pediatric lung transplantation. J Pediatr Surg. 1994;29:1152-1156.
5. Tanel RE, Wernovsky G, Landzberg MJ, Perry SB. Coronary artery abnormalities detected at cardiac catheterization following the arterial switch operation for transposition of the great arteries. Am J Cardiol. 1995;76:153-157.
6. Adatia I, Perry S, Landzberg M, Moore P, Thompson JE, Wessel DL. Inhaled nitric oxide and hemodynamic evaluation of patients with pulmonary hypertension before transplantation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1995;25:1156-1164
7. Landzberg MJ, Sloss LJ, Faherty CE, Morrison BJ, Bittl JA, Bridges ND, Casale PN, Keane JF, Lock JE. . Orthodeoxia-platypnea due to intracardiac shunting---relief with transcatheter double umbrella closure. Cath Cardiovasc Diagn. 1995;36:247-250.
8. Kreutzer, J, Landzberg MJ, Preminger TJ, Mandell VS, Treves ST, Reid LM, Lock JE. Isolated peripheral pulmonary artery stenoses in the adult. Circulation. 1996;93:1417-1423.
9. Burke RP, Horvath K, Landzberg M, Hyde P, Collins JJ, Cohn LH. Long-term follow-up after surgical repair of ostium primum atrial septal defect in adults. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1996;27:696-699.
10. Cooper CJ, Landzberg MJ, Anderson TJ, Charbonneau F, Creager MA, Ganz P, Selwyn AP. Role of Nitric Oxide in the local regulation of pulmonary vascular resistance in humans. Circulation. 1996;93:266-271.
11. Be'eri E, Maier SE, Landzberg MJ, Chung T, Geva T. In vivo evaluation of Fontan pathway flow dynamics by multidimensional phase velocity magnetic resonance imaging. Circulation. 1998;98:2873-2882.
12. Landzberg MJ, Lock JE. . Transcatheter management of ventricular septal rupture after myocaridal infarction. Sem Thor Cardiovasc Surg. 1998;10:128-132.
13. Powell AJ, Chung T, Landzberg MJ, Geva T. Accuracy of MRI evaluation of pulmonary blood supply in patients with complex stenosis or atresia. Int J Card Imaging. 2000;16:169-174.
14. Hung J, Landzberg MJ, Jenkins KJ, King ME, Lock JE, Palacios IF, Lang P. Transcatheter closure of patent foramen ovale for paradoxical emboli: Intermediate-term risk of recurrent neurologic events following transcatheter device placement. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000;35:1311-1316.
15. Feinstein JA, Goldhaber SZ, Lock JE, Ferndandes SM, Landzberg MJ. Balloon pulmonary angioplasty for treatment of chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Circulation. 2001;103:10-13.
16. Delacretaz E, Ganz L, Soejima K, Friedman P, Walsh E, Triedman J, Sloss L, Landzberg M, Stevenson W. Multiple atrial macroreentry circuits in adults with repaired ongenital heart disease: entrainment mapping combined with three-dimensional electroanatomic mapping. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;37:1665-1676.
17. Preston IR, Klinger JR, Landzberg MJ, Houtchens J, Nelson D, Hill NS. Vasoresponsiveness of sarcoidosis-associated pulmonary hypertension. Chest. 2001;120:866-872.
18. Rubin LJ, Badesch DB, Barst RJ, Galie N, Black CM, Keogh A, Pulido T, Frost A, Roux S, Leconte I, Landzberg M, Simonneau G. Bosentan therapy for pulmonary arterial hypertension. N Engl J Med. 2002;346:896-903.
19. Geva T, Greil GF, Marshall AC, Landzberg M, Powell AJ. Gadolinium-enhanced 3-dimensional magnetic resonance angiography of pulmonary blood supply in patients with complex pulmonary stenosis or atresia: comparison with x-ray angiography. Circulation. 2002;106:473-478.
20. Bromberg J, Beasley P, D'Angelo E, Landzberg M, DeMaso D. Depression and anxiety in adults with congenital heart disease: a pilot study. Heart Lung. 2003;32:105-110.
21. Khairy P, O'Donnell CP, Landzberg MJ. Systematic Review of Transcatheter Closure versus Medical Therapy of Patent Foramen Ovale and Presumed Paradoxical Thromboemboli: A Systematic Review. Ann Intern Med. 2003;139:753-760.
22. Ferndandes SM , Newburger JW, Lang P, Pearson DD, Feinstein JA, Gauvreau KK,Landzberg MJ. Usefulness of epoprostenol therapy in the severely ill adolescent/adult with Eisenmenger physiology. Am J Cardiol. 2003;91:632-635.
23. Benisty JI, McLaughlin VV, Landzberg MJ, Rich JD, Newburger JW, Rich S, Folkman J. Elevated basic fibroblast growth factor levels in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chest. 2004;126:1255-1261.
24. Khairy P, Landzberg M, Lambert J, O'Donnell C. Long-term outcomes after atrial switch for transposition of the great arteries: a meta-analysis comparing Mustard and Senning procedures. Cardiol Young. 2004;14:284-292.
25. Knauth AL, Lock JE, Perry SB, McElhinney DB, Gauvreau K, Landzberg MJ, Rome JJ, Hellenbrand WE, Ruiz CE, Jenkins KJ. Transcatheter Device Closure of Congenital and Postoperative Residual Ventricular Septal Defects. Circulation. 2004;110:501-507.
26. Khairy P, Landzberg MJ, Gatzoulis MA, Lucron H, Lambert J, Marçon F, Alexander ME, Walsh EP. Value of programmed stimulation after Tetralogy of Fallot repair: a Multicenter Study. Circulation. 2004;109:1994-2000.
27. Galie N, Beghetti M, Gatzoulis MA, Granton J, Berger RM, Lauer A, Chiossi E, Landzberg MJ. Bosentan therapy in patients with Eisenmenger syndrome: a multi-centre, double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study. Circulation. 2006;114:48-54.
28. Canobbio MM, Morris CD, Graham TP, Landzberg M. Pregnancy outcomes after atrial repair for transposition of the great arteries. Am J Cardiol. 2006;98:668-672.
29. Khairy P, Ouyang DW, Fernandes SM, Lee-Parritz A, Economy KE, Landzberg MJ. Pregnancy outcomes in women with congenital heart disease. Circulation. 2006;113:517-524.
30. Khairy P, Landzberg MJ, Gatzoulis MA, Mercier LA, Fernandes SM, Cote JM, Lavoie JP, Fournier A, Guerra PG, Frogoudaki A, Walsh EP, Dore A. Transvenous pacing leads and systemic thromboemboli in patients with intracardiac shunts: a multicenter study. Circulation. 2006;113:2391-2397.
31. Qureshi AM, McElhinney DB, Lock JE, Landzberg MJ, Lang P, Marshall AC. Acute and intermediate outcomes, and evaluation of injury to the aortic wall, as based on 15 years experience of implanting stents to treat aortic coarctation. Cardiol Young. 2007;26:1-12.
32. Fortescue EB, Shin AY, Greenes DS, Mannix, RC, Agarwal S, Feldman BJ, Shah MI, Rifai N, Landzberg MJ, Newburger, Almond CS. Cardiac troponin increases among runners in the Boston Marathon. Ann Emerg Med. 2007;49:137-143.
33. Lim DS, Forbes TJ, Rothman A, Lock JE, Landzberg MJ. Transcatheter closure of high-risk muscular ventricular septal defects with the CardioSEAL occluder: initial report from the CardioSEAL VSD registry. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2007;70:740-744.
34. Khairy P, Harris L, Landzberg MJ, Viswanathan S, Barlow A, Gatzoulis MA, Fernandes SM, Beauchesne L, Therrien J, Chetaille P, Gordon E, Vonder Muhll I, Cecchin F. Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators in Tetralogy of Fallot. Circulation. 2008;117:363-370.
35. Gatzoulis MA, Beghetti M, Galiè N, Granton J, Berger R, Lauer A, Chiossi E, Landzberg M. Longer-term bosentan therapy improves functional capacity with Bosentan in Eisenmenger syndrome: Results of the BREATHE-5 open-label extension study. Int J Cardiol. 2008;127:27-32.
36. Khairy P, Fernandes SM, Mayer JE Jr, Triedman JK, Walsh EP, Lock JE, Landzberg MJ. Long-term survival, modes of death, and predictors of mortality in patients with Fontan surgery. Circulation. 2008;117:85-92.
37. Khairy P, Harris L, Landzberg MJ, Fernandes SM, Barlow A, Mercier LA, Viswanathan S, Chetaille P, Gordon E, Dore A, Cecchin F. . Sudden death and defibrillators in transposition of the great arteries with intra-atrial baffles: a multicenter study. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2008;1:250-257.
38. Opotowsky AR, Landzberg MJ, Kimmel SE, Webb GD. Trends in the use of percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defect in adults, 1998-2004. JAMA. 2008;299:521-522.
39. Knauth AL, Gauvreau K, Powell AJ, Landzberg MJ, Walsh EP, Lock JE, del Nido P, Geva T. Ventricular size and function assessed by cardiac MRI predict major adverse clinical outcomes late after tetralogy of Fallot repair. Heart. 2008;94:211-216.
40. Opotowsky AR, Landzberg MJ, Kimmel SE, Webb GD. Percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale and atrial septal defect in adults: the impact of clinical variables and hospital procedure volume on in-hospital adverse events. Am Heart J. 2009;157:867-874.
41. Lok SI, Winkens B, Dimopoulos K, Fernandes SM, Gatzoulis MA, Landzberg MJ, Mulder BJ. Recurrence of cerebrovascular events in young adults with a secundum atrial septal defect. Int J Cardiol. 2009;142:44-49.
42. Stewart BA, Fernandes S, Rodriguez-Huertas E, Landzberg M. A preliminary look at duplicate testing associated with lack of electronic health record interoperability for transferred patients. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010;17:341-344.
43. Khairy P, Aboulhosn J, Gurvitz MZ, Opotowsky AR, Mongeon FP, Kay J, Valente AM, Earing MG, Lui G, Gersony DR, Cook S, Ting JG, Nickolaus MJ, Webb G, Landzberg MJ, Broberg CS. Arrhythmia burden in adults with surgically repaired tetralogy of Fallot: a multi-institutional study. Circulation. 2010;122:868-875.
44. Berger RM, Beghetti M, Galiè N, Gatzoulis MA, Granton J, Lauer A, Chiossi E,Landzberg M. Atrial septal defects versus ventricular septal defects in BREATHE-5, a placebo-controlled study of pulmonary arterial hypertension related to Eisenmenger's syndrome: a subgroup analysis. Int J Cardiol. 2010;144:373-378.
45. O'Donnell CP, Landzberg MJ, Mullen MP. Lung Abscess in Adults with Tetralogy of Fallot and Pulmonary Atresia. Cardiol Young. 2010;20:91-93.
46. Ouyang DW, Khairy P, Fernandes SM, Lee-Parritz A, Landzberg MJ, Economy KE. Obstetric outcomes in pregnant women with congenital heart disease. Int J Cardiol. 2010;144:195-199.
47. Valente AM, Lock JE, Gauvreau K, Rodriguez-Huertas E, Joyce C, Armsby L, Bacha EA,Landzberg MJ. Predictors of Long-Term Adverse Outcomes in Patients With Congenital Coronary Artery Fistulae. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;3:134-139.
48. Tobler D, Fernandes SM, Wald RM, Landzberg M, Salehian O, Siu SC, Colman JM, Sermer M, Silversides CK. Pregnancy outcomes in women with transposition of the great arteries and arterial switch operation. Am J Cardiol. 2010;106:417-420.
49. Fernandes SM, McElhinney DB, Khairy P, Graham DA, Landzberg MJ, Rhodes J. Serial cardiopulmonary exercise testing in patients with previous Fontan surgery. Pediatr Cardiol. 2010;31:175-180.
50. Marelli A, Gauvreau K, Landzberg M, Jenkins K. Sex differences in mortality in children undergoing congenital heart disease surgery: a United States population-based study. Circulation. 2010;122:S234-40.
541. Furlan AJ, Reisman M, Massaro J, Mauri L, Adams H, Albers GW, Felberg R, Herrmann H, Kar S, Landzberg M, Raizner A, Wechsler L. Study design of the CLOSURE I Trial: a prospective, multicenter, randomized, controlled trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the STARFlex septal closure system versus best medical therapy in patients with stroke or transient ischemic attack due to presumed paradoxical embolism through a patent foramen ovale. Stroke. 2010;41:2872-2883.
52. Valente AM, Bhatt AB, Cook S, Earing MG, Gersony DR, Aboulhosn J, Opotowsky AR, Lui G, Gurvitz M, Graham D, Fernandes SM, Khairy P, Webb G, Gerhard-Herman M,Landzberg, MJ. The CALF (Congenital heart disease in Adults Lower extremity systemic venous health in Fontan patients) Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;56:144-150.
53. Krieger EV, Landzberg MJ, Economy KE, Webb GD, Opotowsky AR. Comparison of risks of hypertensive complications of pregnancy among women with versus without coarctation of the aorta. Am J Cardiol. 2011 Mar 11 (epub ahead of print).
54. Fernandes SM, Alexander ME, Graham DA, Khairy P, Clair M, Rodriguez E, Pearson DD, Landzberg MJ, Rhodes J. Exercise testing identifies patients at increased risk for morbidity and mortality following Fontan surgery. Congenit Heart Dis. 2011 Mar 21 (epub ahead of print).
55. Kim YY, Gauvreau K, Bacha EA, Landzberg MJ, Benavidez OJ. Risk Factors for Death After Adult Congenital Heart Surgery in Pediatric Hospitals. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011 4:433-439. Epub 2011 Jun 21
56. Bhatt AB, Landzberg MJ, Gerhard-Herman M, Rodriguez-Huertas E, Graham D, Valente AM. Pathophysiology of chronic venous insufficiency in adults with a Fontan circulation (a pre-defined substudy of the CALF investigation). Int J Cardiol. 2011 Aug 10. [Epub ahead of print]
1. Robinson JN, Banerjee R, Landzberg MJ, Thiet MP. Inhaled nitric oxide therapy in pregnancy complicated by pulmonary hypertension. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999;180:1045-1046.
2. Landzberg MJ, Roberts DJ, Mark EJ. Weekly clinicopathologic exercises: Case 4-1999: A 38 year-old woman with increasing pulmonary hypertension after delivery. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:455-464.
3. Kwok OH, Landzberg MJ, Kinlay S, Marcus KC, Rogers C. Percutaneous coronary intervention and subsequent endovascular beta-radiation bnrachytherapy in a 14-year-Old with repaired anomalous left coronary artery from pulmonary artery. J Invasive Cardiol. 2001;13:494-500.
4. Landzberg MJ, Murphy DJ Jr, Davidson WR Jr, Jarcho JA, Krumholz HM, Mayer JE Jr, Mee RB, Sahn DJ, Van Hare GF, Webb GD, Williams RG. Task force 4: Organization of delivery systems for adults with congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;37:1187-1193.
5. Yeon HB, Ramappa A, Landzberg MJ, Thornhill TS. Paradoxic cerebral embolism after cemented knee arthroplasty. A report of two cases and prophylactic option for subsequent arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2003;18:113-120.
6. Paul S, Mihaljevic T, Leacche M, Landzberg M, Ho CY, Blake GJ, Byrne JG. Postinfarction ventricular septal defect with pseudoaneurysm repair after failed percutaneous closure. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:701-703.
7. Williams RG, Pearson GD, Barst RJ, Child JS, del Nido P, Gersony WM, Kuehl KS,Landzberg MJ, Myerson M, Neish SR, Sahn DJ, Verstappen A, Warnes CA, Webb CL. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Working Group on research in adult congenital heart disease. Report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Working Group on research in adult congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47:701-707.
8. Eckart RE, Hruczkowski TW, Landzberg MJ, Ames A, Epstein LM. Pulmonary arterial embolization of pacemaker lead electrode tip. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2006;29:784-787.
9. Landzberg MJ, Ungerleider R. Pediatric cardiology and adult congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47(11 Suppl):D33-6.
10. Fortescue EB, Shin AY, Greenes DS, Mannix, RC, Agarwal S, Feldman BJ, Shah MI, Rifai N, Landzberg MJ, Newburger J, Almond CS. Cardiac troponin increases among runners in the Boston Marathon. Ann Emerg Med. 2007;49:137-143.
11. Khairy P, Landzberg MJ. Adult congenital heart disease: toward prospective risk assessment of a multisystemic condition. Circulation. 2008;117(18):2311-2.
12. Opotowsky AR, Landzberg MJ. Bicuspid aortic valve morphology. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;56(20):1680; author reply 1680-1.
Reviews, Chapters, Monographs, and Editorials
1. Landzberg M, Antman E. "Nitrates, beta-adrenoceptor blockers ,and calcium antagonists". In: Unstable Angina (Rutherford J). New York: Marcel Dekker Inc;1992. p. 159-190.
2. Landzberg M, Lock J. Interventional Catheterization Procedures in Congenital Heart Disease. . Cardiology Clinics. 1993;11:569-587.
3. Landzberg M, Lock J. Transcatheter closure of cardiac defects. Advances in Pediatrics. 1993;40:247-271.
4. Landzberg MJ, Lock JE. "Interventional approaches to congenital heart disease and intracardiac shunts". In: Cardiovascular Therapeutics (Smith TW). ;1996. p. 650-662.
5.0Benisty JI, Landzberg MJ. Eisenmenger's Syndrome. Curr Treat Cardiovasc Med. 1999;1:355-362.
6. Landzberg MJ. "Catheterization of the Adult Patient with Congenital Heart Disease". In: Diagnostic and Interventional Catheterization in Congenital Heart Disease (Lock JE, Keane JF, Perry SB). 2 Norwell: Kluwer Academic Publishers;2000. p. 269-288.
7. Landzberg M. "Life After Surgery, Dealing with the Difficult Times, and Growing Up" In: The Parent's Guide to Children's Congenital Heart Defects (Kramer GF, Maurier S). New York: Three Rivers Press;2001. p. 177-237.
8. Landzberg MJ. Catheterization of the adult with congenital heart disease (ACHD): Beyond "shooting the coronaries". J Intervention Cardiol. 2001;14:329-337.
9. Landzberg MJ. Closure of atrial septal defects in adult patients: Justification of the "tipping point". J Interven Cardiol. 2001;14:267-270.
10. Benisty JI, Landzberg MJ, Lock JE. "Treatment of primary pulmonary hypertension". In: Cardiovascular Therapeutics (Antman EM). 2 New York: W.B. Saunders Company;2002. p. 1075-1081.
11. Mullen MP, Landzberg MJ. "Care for adults with congenital heart disease". In: Cardiovascular Therapeutics (Antman EM). 2 New York: W.B. Saunders Co;2002. p1048-1074.
12. O'Donnell CP, Landzberg MJ. The "failing" Fontan circulation. Prog Ped Cardiol. 2002;16:105-114.
13. Landzberg MJ. "Transcatheter approach to post-myocardial infarction ventricular septal rupture and paravalvar regurgitation". In: Catheter Based Devices (Rao PS, Kern MJ). New York: Lippincott Williams and WIlkins;2003. p. 265-270.
14. Khairy P, Landzberg M. Indications for closure of patent foramen ovale: Education in Heart. Heart. 2004;90:219-224.
15. Landzberg MJ, Brass L, Furlan A, Hellenbrand W, Hermann H, Kramer P, Palacios IF, Reisman M, Sommer R, Thomas C, Wechsler L. Transcatheter intracardiac device implantation for atrial level defects and thrombosis: a call for randomized, controlled data. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004;44:1713-1714.15.
16.Fernandes SM, Landzberg MJ. Transitioning the young adult with congenital heart disease for life-long medical care. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2004;6:1739-1748.
17. De Freitas RA, Marx GR, Landzberg MJ. "Imaging of the adult with congenital heart disease". In: Clinical Cardiovascular Imaging: A Companion to Braunwald's Heart Disease (St. John Sutton NG, Rutherford JD). Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2004. p. 366-413.
18. Landzberg MJ. "Heart failure in the adult with congenital heart disease". In: Pediatric Heart Failure (Wernovsky G, Shaddy R). Boca Raton: Taylor and Francis Group;2005. p. 869-888.
19. Landzberg MJ. "CardioSEAL®, CardioSEAL-STARFlex® and PFO-Star® closure of PFO". In: Interventional Cardiology (Hermann H). Totowa: Humana Press;2005.p. 131-142.
20. Spray TL, Landzberg MJ. Pediatric cardiology and adult congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005;45:9B-11B.
21. Landzberg MJ, Summer R. "Profiles in congenital heart disease". In: Grossman's Cardiac Catheterization, Angiography and Intervention (Baim DS). 7 New York: Lippincott, Williams and WIlkins;2006. p. 744-758.
22. Landzberg MJ, Lock JE. "Diagnostic Catheterization in Childhood and Adult Congenital Heart Disease". In: Grossman's Cardiac Catheterization, Angiography and Intervention (Baim DS). 7 New York: Lippincott, Williams and WIlkins;2006. p. 118-132.
23. Goldhaber SZ, Kucher N, Landzberg MJ. "Profiles in Pulmonary Embolism and Pulmonary Hypertension". In: Grossman's Cardiac Catheterization, Angiography and Intervention (Baim DS). 7 New York: Lippincott, Williams and WIlkins;2006. p. 677-693.
24. Landzberg MJ, Ungerleider R. Pediatric cardiology and adult congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47:D33-36.
25. Landzberg MJ. "Adult Congenital Heart Disease". In: Nadas' Pediatric Cardiology (Keane JF, Lock JE, Fyler DC). 2 Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier;2006. p. 833-842.
26. Landzberg MJ. Congenital heart disease associated pulmonary hypertension (CHD-PAH). . Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2007;28:243-253.
27. Landzberg MJ. "Treatment of severe idiopathic pulmonary hypertension". In: Cardiovascular Therapeutics (Antman EM). 3 Philadelphia: Saunders;2007. p. 758-766.
28. Martucci G, Mullen MP, Landzberg MJ. "Care for adults with congenital heart disease". In: Cardiovascular Therapeutics (Antman EM). 3 Philadelphia: Saunders;2007. p. 732-757.
29. Bulwer BE, Landzberg MJ. "Adult Congenital Heart Disease in General Echocardiography Practice: An Introduction". In: Essential Echocardiography (Solomon SD). Totowa, New Jersey: Humana Press;2007. p. 391-416.
30. Landzberg MJ. "Transcatheter closure of muscular ventricular septal defects: tips regarding CardioSEAL double umbrella technique". In: Percutaneous Interventions in Congenital Heart Disease (Hijazi Z, Sievert H). New York: Informa Healthcare;2007. p. 373-374.
31. Landzberg MJ. "Transcatheter closure of post-myocardial infarction muscular ventricular septal rupture: tips regarding CardioSEAL double umbrella technique". In: Percutaneous Interventions in Congenital Heart Disease (Hijazi Z, Sievert H). New York: Informa Healthcare;2007. p. 345-348.
32. Khairy P, Hosn JA, Broberg C, Cook S, Earing M, Gersony D, Kay J, Landzberg MJ, Nickolaus MJ, Opotowsky S, Valente AM, Warnes C, Webb G, Gurvitz MZ, Multicenter research in adult congenital heart disease. Int J Cardiol. 2008;129(2):155-9.
33. Landzberg MJ. "Congenital heart disease-associated pulmonary hypertension". In: Pulmonary Hypertension (Hill N, Farber H). Totawa, New Jersey: Humana Press;2008. p. 127-144.
34. Valente AM, Landzberg MJ, Powell AJ. "Adult congenital heart disease". In: Essential Atlas of Cardiovascular Disease (Libby P). Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Springer;2009. p. 231-246.
35. Landzberg MJ, Cecchin F. Atrial arrhythmias: a "call to arms" for congenital heart disease caregivers. Circulation. 2009;120:1649-1650.
36. Martucci G, Landzberg MJ. Not just big kids: Closing atrial septal defects in adults older than 60 years. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2009;2:83-84.
37. Fernandes SM, Arendt KW, Landzberg MJ, Economy KE, Khairy P. Pregnant women with congenital heart disease: cardiac, anesthetic and obstetrical implications. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2010;3:439-448.
38. Bhatt A, Landzberg MJ, Wu F. "Atrial Septal Defects". In: Cardiology (Crawford MS, DiMarco JP, Paulus WJ). 3 Elsevier;2010.p. 1441-1446.
39. Wu F, Landzberg MJ. "Congenital Heart Defects in Adults". In: Congenital Heart Defects: From Origin to Treatment (Wyszynski D, Graham T, Correa-Villasenor A). USA: Oxford University Press;2010. p. 296-306.
40. Mullen MP, Landzberg MJ. "Pulmonary Hypertension and Cor Pulmonale". In: Comprehensive Cardiovascular Medicine in the Primary Care Setting (Toth P, Cannon CP). New York: Humana Press, Springer Science; 2010. p. 353-372.
14. Meadows J, Landzberg MJ. Advances in transcatheter interventions in adults with congenital heart disease. 2011;53(4):265-73.
42. Khairy P, Fernandes SM, Landzberg MJ. Pregnancy-related cardiac risk in women with congenital heart disease: is it over when it's over? Evid Based Med. 2011; 16: 93-94.
43. Landzberg MJ. Introduction: Adult congenital heart disease. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2011;53(4):237-8.
Professional educational materials or reports, in print or other media
1. Landzberg MJ. The unique challenge of treating the adult patient with congenital heart disease. Cardiology Rounds. 19982
- Report of Brigham and Women's Hospital Grand Rounds
- Citation is listed above
- Distributed to regional and national cardiologists
2. Fernandes SM, Landzberg MJ, "Flolan made ridiculously simple""A Caregiver's Primer". 1998
- Care primer for clinicians engaging in care of patients with pulmonary hypertension
- Placed in each care unit and Brigham and Women's Hospital and Children's Hospital Boston intended for nurses, internists, and cardiologists engaged in caring for patients with pulmonary hypertension
Clinical Guidelines and Reports
1. Warnes CA, Williams RG, Bashore TM, Childs JS, Connolly HM, Dearani JA, Del Nido P, Fasules JW, Graham TP, Hijazi ZM, Hunt SA, King ME, Landzberg MJ, Miner PD, Radford MJ, Walsh EP, Webb GD. ACC/AHA 2008 Guidelines for the Management of Adults with Congenital Heart Disease: Executive Summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (writing committee to develop guidelines for the management of adults with congenital heart disease). In: Circulation. ;2008. P. 2395-451.
- First national care guidelines for adults with congenital heart disease in US: Executive Summary
- Print citation is noted above
- Sections editor and writer
2. Warnes CA, Williams RG, Bashore TM, Childs JS, Connolly HM, Dearani JA, del Nido P, Fasules JW, Graham TP, Hijazi ZM, Hunt SA, King ME, Landzberg MJ, Miner PD, Radford MJ, Walsh EP, Webb GD, Smith SC, Jacobs AK, Adams CD, Anderson JL, Antman EM, Buller CE, Creager MA, Ettinger SM, Halperin JL, Hunt SA, Krumholz HM, Kushner FG, Lytle BW, Nishimura RA, Page RL, Riegel B, Tarkington LG, Yancy CW, ACC/AHA 2008 guidelines for the management of adults with congenital heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Writing Committee to Develop Guidelines on the Management of Adults with Congenital Heart Disease). Developed in Collaboration with the American Society for Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. In: J Am Coll Cardiol. ;2008. p. el-121
- First national care guidelines for adults with congenital heart disease in US: Full Text
- Electronic citation is noted above
- Sections editor and writer
3. Silversides CK, Marelli A, Beauchesne L, Dore A, Kiess M, Salehian O, Bradley T, Colman J, Connelly M, Harris L, Khairy P, Mital S, Niwa K, Oechslin E, Poirier N, Schwerzmann M, Taylor D, Vonder Muhll I, Baumgartner H, Benson L, Celermajer D, Greutmann M, Horlick E, Landzberg M, Meijboom F, Mulder B, Warnes C, Webb G, Therrien J. Canadian Cardiovascular Society 2009 Consensus Conference on the management of adults with congenital heart disease: executive summary..In: Can J Cardiol. 26 ;2010. p. 143-150
- National care guidelines for adults with congenital heart disease in Canada: Executive Summary
- Print citation is noted above
4. Silversides CK, Salehian O, Oechslin E, Schwerzmann M, Vonder Muhll I, Khairy P, Horlick E, Landzberg M, Meijboom F, Warnes C, Therrien J. Canadian Cardiovascular Society 2009 Consensus Conference on the management of adults with congenital heart disease: complex congenital cardiac lesions. In: Can J Cardiol. 26 ;2010. p. e98-117
- National care guidelines for adults with congenital heart disease in Canada: Full Text
- Electronic citation is noted above